VIC - Mandatory Swimming Pool Registration & Compliance Inspections commencing 1st Dec 2019 … ask us about the proposed changes!

servicing your domestic

certification needs



Located in Wodonga (VIC), IMPACT Building Approvals specialises in the provision of domestic building surveying and certification services in the Albury Wodonga region and surrounding districts of NE Victoria and NSW Riverina. 

Impact Building Approvals was established in February 2019 and is located in Wodonga (Victoria). Andy Herbig is the director of the company and a member of the Association of Accredited Certifiers in NSW. Andy is passionate about delivering the most efficient and best quality building surveyor service to clients, by utilising modern technology and constantly seeking ways to improve certification and administrative processes.

Impact Building Approvals specialises in the provision of domestic building approvals in Victoria and New South Wales. Andy is a registered Building Surveyor (BS-L 62668) and Building Inspector (IN-L 45678) in Victoria and holds an A3 Accredited Certifier registration (BPB 2945) with the Building Professionals Board in NSW.

Andy prides himself on his attention to detail, commitment to the provision of exceptional service to all clients and delivering the most efficient and best priced approvals and mandatory inspection process in the Albury Wodonga region.

If you need a building permit (VIC) or a construction certificate or complying development certificate (NSW) for your next domestic building project, do not hesitate to make contact today to request your quote for a superior professional certification service. (Sec 137B Owner Builder’s Reports (VIC) and Swimming Pool Compliance certificates (NSW) are also available).



Mon - Fri 7.00 am – 6.00 pm



House icon.png


House icon.png


House icon.png


House icon.png


House icon.png



Impact Building Approvals offer the following range of services to clients seeking domestic building approvals in Vic & NSW:


Building permits

occupancy permits

mandatory construction inspections

sec. 137b owner builder report


 Construction Certificates

 Complying Development Certificates

 Occupation Certificates

 Mandatory Construction Inspections



request quote


 Frequently asked questions

1. How long should I expect to wait for my building permit, construction certificate or complying development certificate?

Impact Building Approvals is driven by a passion to provide the best personalised service and a prompt delivery of domestic building approvals in Victoria and NSW. We offer a guarantee of 48 hours from the receipt of all required documentation to complete the relevant assessment, to providing your certificate to commence construction works.

2. Do we require Council Approval for all our building work?

Impact Building Approvals can issue a Building Permit (VIC) or Complying Development Certificates (CDC) for development so you can avoid dealing with your local Council. Before you commence any type of building development, it is essential to determine the relevant approvals you require. It is possible you don’t require a Development Approval (DA) in NSW which can be a lengthy process through council.

You may be eligible for Complying Development or Exempt Development and therefore not require council approval.

Impact Building Approvals can assist with this!

3. What is Exempt Development?

Exempt development is minor building development in both Victoria and New South Wales. This sort of development has low impact and therefore does not require a Building Permit, CDC or DA & Construction Certificate (CC). There are limitations on the size and relative impact, but the following are some examples that may be considered as exempt development:
•  Driveways
•  Fences
•  Pathways
•  Balconies, decks, patios and verandahs
•  Access ramps
•  Retaining walls
•  Minor building alterations (internal & external)

4. What is a Complying Development Certificate (CDC)?

A CDC is a building approval certificate in NSW that can be issued directly by Impact Building Approvals without the need to apply to council. If your proposed building project satisfies the requirements for a CDC, then the process to obtain your approval is much faster and you will not require a Development Application (DA) from council. It is a ‘fast-track’ building approval that does not require approval through council. Get your project off the ground much faster with a one-step approval process. Request a quote today to see if your next building project is eligible for a CDC.

5. Why should I use the service of Impact Building Approvals, rather than my local Council?

Impact Building Approvals offer a highly competitive pricing structure and a high quality personal service to assist you through your building approvals process. As a private building surveying company, Impact Building Approvals will provide a more efficient, client-focused service; as we directly and personally service your certification needs. This is who we are and what we do … we issue the same Building Permits, Complying Development Certificates (CDC) and Construction Certificates (CC) but much faster than many other providers.

Request a quote today to find out more!

6. What is a DA ?

A DA is a Development Application (NSW). This is a formal request to council seeking to build a new development. It is also known as planning approval. This approval is for more complex developments that don’t qualify for Exempt Development or Complying Development and can only be issued by your local Council. (This is separate to the additional construction certificate required to commence construction; which can be issued directly by Impact Building Approvals after a DA has been obtained from council.)

7. What is a CC?

A CC is a Construction Certificate. After the relevant council has approved the Development Application (DA), a Construction Certificate is required in order to commence any construction work. If a Development Approval (DA) has been issued, then you will need to have a CC issued prior to commencing any construction work. This certificate states that the building plans comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and meet the requirements of the DA and any relevant DA conditions imposed by a council.

Request a quote immediately for a CC from Impact Building Approvals.

8. What is a PCA?

A PCA is a Principal Certifying Authority. The role of a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) is to conduct Critical Stage Inspections of the building work and ensure all requirements of the Building Code of Australia are being met. Impact Building Approvals can fulfill this role as well as issuing your Construction Certificate. Your PCA will also issue you with the occupation certificate when the building development has been completed. It is a requirement to enter into an agreement with your PCA, which clearly states the duties and obligations of the PCA and the property owner .

9. What is a Critical Stage Inspection?

Critical Stage Inspections are mandatory in Victoria and NSW and ensure that the building works on site are compliant with the approved Building Permit, Development Consent and the Construction Certificate. There are numerous inspections that are required to occur throughout the building project stages including: footings prior to pouring concrete, framing, waterproofing, stormwater and final inspection. All critical stage inspections are conducted by an Accredited Certifier; registered with the Building Professionals Board (NSW) or a registered Building Surveyor (VIC).

10. What is an OC or OP?

An OC is an Occupation Certificate in NSW and an OP is an Occupancy Permit in Victoria. An OC or OP gives approval to use or occupy a building (or other structure) in conjunction with the approved Building Permit, DA or CDC.

Upon completion of a development, numerous contractor certificates are required to be provided to verify that certain parts of the building are compliant with the BCA and Australian Standards. An Application for Occupation Certificate is required to be submitted for assessment prior to approving occupation/use of the approved development. (This is part of the standard package of certification offered by Impact Building Approvals)

11. What is the Long Service Levy in NSW and why do I have to pay?

Long Service Levy is a NSW Government fee, payable for building and construction projects costing $25,000 and above (inclusive of GST) and is payable online at https://portal.longservice.nsw.gov.au/bci/levy/. The levy is paid into a fund administered by the Long Service Corporation, and from this fund, the Corporation makes long service payments to building and construction workers.

12. What is Home Building Compensation Fund (HBCF)

The Home Building Compensation Fund provides a safety net for home owners in NSW faced with incomplete and defective building work carried out by a builder or tradesperson.

Licensed contractors who conduct residential work valued at $20,000 or more need insurance cover through HBCF. They must obtain this insurance prior to the commencement of any building work or receiving any monetary payments under the contract, including the deposit.

A copy of the Certificate of Insurance is to be submitted to the PCA prior to commencement of work on the site.

13. What is an owner builder permit (OBP)?

NSW - An application for an Owner Builder Permit may only be submitted to the Office of Fair Trading once a Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate has been issued. You are required to provide the Certifier with a copy of the Owner Builder Permit at least 2 days prior to commencing works. For further information relating to Owner Builder Permits, visit: https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/housing-and-property/building-and-renovating/becoming-an-owner-builder

VIC - An application for a ‘Certificate of Consent’ to be an owner builder is required for building works greater than $16,000. Applications are to be made direct with the Victorian Building Authority online at: https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumers/owner-builders

14. What is a Section 137B Owner Builder Report (VIC)?

Owner builder property inspection reports are required by law in the state of Victoria.  There are also conditions where warranty insurance may be required in addition to the owner builder inspection report. Prior to selling owner built constructions, section 137B of the Victoria Building Act 1993 requires the building work to be inspected and reported on by a licenced building practitioner. The Report forms part of the Section 32 transfer documentation at time of sale.

Impact Building Approvals can provide this service to you with a 24 hour turnaround. Go to the ‘Request a Quote’ section below and provide details of your requirements.

For information about owner builders: https://www.vba.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/48019/Owner-Builder-Study-Guide.pdf

15. Swimming Pool Compliance Certificate (NSW)

Owners who are renting or selling a property with a swimming pool or spa pool have legal obligations to meet.

When selling a property with a swimming pool or spa pool, you must ensure the contract for sale includes:

  • a Registration Certificate issued from the Swimming Pool Register


  • a valid swimming pool certificate of compliance, or

  • a relevant occupation certificate issued within the last 3 years, or

  • a valid certificate of non-compliance.

If you do not attach the certificates as required, the purchaser may be allowed to rescind the contract within 14 days of exchange, unless settlement has already occurred.

If a certificate of non-compliance is attached to the contract for sale, the vendor is transferring the obligation to obtain a certificate of compliance to the purchaser.

The purchaser will have 90 days from the date of settlement to rectify defects listed in the certificate of non-compliance and obtain a certificate of compliance.

This requirement does not apply to a lot in a strata scheme or in a community scheme if that strata or community scheme has more than two lots, or if the sales contract is for an off-the-plan property.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to make contact with us through the contact form on this site or by email or phone as detailed above.

Final Image - Bellbridge-4.JPG

Contact US

Please complete the form below if you have a general enquiry

(If you require a quote, please use the ‘request quote’ tab on this site)

Name *